By Dianne Craft, MA, CNHP
Visual Processing Gate Locked
- Reading reversals after age 7 (on=no, was=saw, of=to)
- Oral reading starts smooth, but becomes more labored
- Yawning shortly after reading begins
- Smart kids who don’t want to read (due to eye fatigue)
- Brain Integration Therapy
- Vision Therapy
Visual/Motor (Writing) Gate Blocked
- Frequent or occasional reversals in letters (b/d) after age 7.
- Poor spacing in writing and math papers.
- Writing is slow and laborious.
- Great stories orally, but writes very little.
- Does all math problems mentally to avoid writing down.
- Writing looks sloppy and child is often considered lazy and unmotivated.
- Daily Writing Eight Exercise and Writing Repatterning from the Brain Integration Therapy Manual.
Auditory Processing Gate Blocked
(This block affects the child the most)
- Phonics sounds don’t stick.
- Sight words hard to memorize; sounds out all words.
- Spelling rules hard to remember.
- Easily misunderstands verbal information.
- Guesses at long words frequently; forgets words he just sounded out.
- Can’t remember multiplication facts, difficulty saying months in order.
- Right Brain Reading Book
- Daily “Language Arts: Reading” Lesson Plans
- Brain Integration Therapy – An easy neurodevelopmental therapy you can do at home to make learning much easier.
- Right Brain Math: Math Tutoring Program, Multiplication Cards, Visual Number Cards.
- Essential Fatty Acids: Fish Oil and Lecithin.
Attention/Focusing/Behavior Gate Blocked
- Inconsistency in performance from one day to another.
- Needs to have someone sit with him to finish work.
- Forgets previously learned work much of the time.
- Impulsive behavior.
- Easily upset and angered when things go wrong.
- Sensory Integration processing problems; little things bother them a lot, like tags on shirts, loud noises, transitions, etc.
- Nutritional interventions and dietary changes designed to calm the child’s nervous system and help him focus more easily. It is very effective and many parents follow the step-by-step three-month supplement program as outlined in The Biology of Behavior CD set, which comes with a printed study guide.
The information in this article should not be construed as a diagnosis or medical advice. Please consult your physician for any medical condition and before adding supplements or changing a child’s diet.
Dianne Craft has a Master’s Degree in special education and is a Certified Natural Health Professional. She has a private consultation practice, Child Diagnostics, Inc., in Littleton, Colorado.